Friday, May 23, 2008

21

The Good:

The story. It's a highly interesting concept and I've always enjoyed card games and the idea of cheating at gambling. The fact that it's (loosely) based on a true story made it that much more appealing.

The Bad (some minor spoilers if you really care):

The story. It's interesting, but they totally butchered it. Pacing is terrible and it's like they took the most cliche synopsis they could find and threw the idea of counting cards into it. He's a rough outline of the love plot. Highly original. Loser nerd wants the girl (who is of course the most popular girl in college). Loser nerd joins team girl is on. Loser nerd makes move on girl. Loser nerd gets rejected by girl. Loser nerd becomes whoever he wants (because it's vegas durr) and girl becomes attracted to nerd. Loser nerd gets girl. Loser nerd becomes arrogant and pushes girl away. Loser nerd gets everything taken away and is humbled. Girl loves loser nerd again for who he is.

The script. Honestly one of the worst I've ever seen. There were at least 5 seperate occassions where I found myself laughing out loud. I remember one time was when our hero confronts his old mentor friend through a story that ran parallel to the movie's plot. Cause that's never been done before...

The acting. Very average. Even Spacey (who I love) did a terrible job in this one. He didn't have much to work with, but that doesn't really excuse him. I can't think of a good movie he's been in in the last few years... real shame.

The Bad:

The whole movie. Good for a laugh, but very disappointing as a movie.

3.5/10

1 comment:

Philos said...

I agree with you mostly. I enjoyed the movie right up till the very end, when it just turned into a corny wank-fest. I was really digging it throughout, (well, till about halfway through and it got all "I'm the best!") it made me want to go to vegas and buy some sweet suits and party in a penthouse.

But yeah, overall quite mediocre. Just a bit of fun if you wanna watch sexy teens win at blackjack... AND WHO DOESN'T!?