Thursday, May 1, 2008

Inside... French people are messed up.

So horror is a pleasure of mine. I enjoy watching people get cut up and destroyed in creative over the top ways. It's just me... Messed up maybe, but it's good fun. When I heard about this movie Inside about a pregnant chick who gets haunted by some other chick I immediately thought "Yes! The movie Juno should have been!". I read a couple reviews and they're all saying things like how it's the best horror movie of the decade and how violent yet scary the movie is... I'm getting pretty excited now. So I got Sam to download it. He got the wrong version (i.e. the dubbed version, not subtitled...) but that's cool, I appreciate it still.

Watched it. And here's my thoughts.

The Good:
- The ending is one of the most violent things I've ever seen. Seriously messed up shit. No holds barred maniac stuff. I'm not gonna say the ending, but it was messed.
- The plot. A pregnant chick getting haunted by another chick. That's a pretty complex plot for a horror movie.
- The filming. It looked great. Very dark and doomy, very stylish.
- It's French. Let's face it, the French are good.

The Bad:
- The killer chick. She was not menacing or scary at all. Probably the slowest killer I've ever seen that wasn't a zombie. Could easily have killed the victim at least four times throughout the movie.
- The soundtrack. Loud, ambient noise is NOT scary when it's used for 70 minutes in an 80 minute movie.
- The acting in general. Considering the horrific situation everyone was very calm and no one seemed worried at all. "What's that? A chick is getting brutally tortured by another chick? Oh well... let me just finish smoking this cigarette then I'll get right on it..."

The Ugly:
- The dubbing. Seriously laughable. I've never dubbed a movie before, but seriously, can it really be that hard to make it sound realistic? Incredibly cheesy voices. Very unfortunate. The movie would probably be a lot better with subtitles. The overall quality still wasn't great, but the dubbing took away a lot.
- The script. It's bad. Really bad... Great idea, poorly implemented. I've never seen so many characters making so many bad choices in a row. If this movie was supposed to be realistic in anyway the French must be real dumbasses.

Overall, I feel the movie took itself way too seriously. All the negative could be positive if it were done tongue in cheek like most horror movies. But no, it was serious. And I just couldn't really take it seriously. Yes it's brutal, but even some horror movies push the suspension of disbelief thing way too far.

6/10

3 comments:

Philos said...

Very Intriguing. I listened to Sam for Rec. so maybe I'll listen to him for this one.

Should i do what I did for Rec and sit in a pitch-black bedroom right in front of my computer screen, huddled for warmth? Or is this a laid back 'watch the blood fly' type of horror movie?

Andrew The Great said...

Yeah, compared to Rec it's very relaxed. Not really scary at all unfortunately. Worth watching though... I was probably a little over critical.

Sam said...

I'd give it a 6/10 too

It was fucked up, but pretty much everything andrew said was true. I was never really scared, so I'd say watch it for 'watch the blood fly' type of movie.

Get the subtitled version please...